"On-Page" Search Engine Optimisation
On-Page SEO is the practice of optimising individual pages in order to rank higher and earn more relevant traffic in search engines.
It refers to all the things that you can do ON YOUR WEBSITE to help you rank higher, such as page titles, internal linking, meta tags & descriptions, etc.
- Content Pages should have 250 words of content but not keyword stuffed
- Content should be answering questions
- Content should have keyword phrase at least 3 times
- Page Titles for each topic page (6 – 12 words) 70 characters
- Is there a clearly defined ‘topic’ for each page?
- Meta Description for every page 160 characters
- Meta Descriptions and Keywords need to be on individual topic pages and different to Global description
- Keywords - okay but not totally necessary
- Heading Tags used within content but NOT H1 - H1 should only be use in Page Titles
- H1 tag should include keyword phrase
- H2 tag should include keyword phrase
- Logo links back to Home Page
- Site should be mobile-friendly
- Phone number readily accessible
- Clean URL’s
- Footer - Site links, important pages (policy, TOC, Copyright) Company address
- Menu Navigation straight forward and works well?
- Images – use of alt tags on all images
- Internal links
- No inline CSS
- Breadcrumb trail included where required
- Check for broken links
- External js and css files - aggregated
- Social Media Links